Through the admission process, The School seeks to learn about your child and how we can partner with you to best meet his or her needs. To that end, we strongly encourage one or both parents to tour our school. To schedule a tour, please call our front desk at 801-583-0094.
1. Complete the online application form and submit electronically to The McGillis School.
2. Call The School (801-583-0094) to schedule an admissions assessment for your child(ren).
On assessment day:
- Pay the application fee ($20 per child)
- Schedule a parent interview about your child after their assessment date
- Applicant must bring the grade applicable portion of the student response form
Kindergarten Assessment Dates:
- January 28, 2017, Saturday, 9:00 - 11:00 A.M. or 1:00-3:00 P.M.
- February 4, 2017, Saturday, 9:00-11:00 A.M. or 1:00 - 3:00 P.M.
Grades 1-8 Assessment:
- Will be administered on the applicant’s visit day
3. Sign and date the teacher recommendation form and please take it to your child’s current teacher(s) to complete. Have the form returned directly to The McGillis School from your child’s teacher/school.
4. Provide a copy of applicant(s) most recent report card/progress report.
The McGillis School Admissions Committee welcomes students who will thrive in a challenging, dynamic, experiential learning environment. Students who are able to work both cooperatively and independently do well at McGillis. The ethical development of our students is just as important to us as their academic development. All admissions decisions are thoughtfully made with information from parents, observation, assessment results, and teacher references.
Each applicant is assessed for academic and social preparation. Kindergarten applicants are assessed in a classroom setting; children work in small groups with teachers on activities such as letter and number recognition, reading and decoding readiness, colors, shapes, sequencing, rhyming, listening, and cooperative skills. For grades 1-8, the assessment includes a visit day at school, reading, writing, and number skills, along with a personal interview to get to know your child.
Admissions decisions are made by an admissions committee, and these decisions usually fall into three categories: (1) offering a placement; (2) invited to a place in the wait pool; and (3) no placement offered at this time. All families are invited to contact the admissions director to discuss the results of the admissions process.
When a space is offered, the family typically has two weeks to respond. Enrollment requires a completed contract agreement and a non-refundable deposit, which is applied toward tuition.
A family applying for financial aid does not pay a contract deposit until the Financial Aid Committee has completed its aid assessment. If financial aid is awarded, the recipient family pays a contract deposit within two weeks of their acceptance of the financial aid award.
High School Placement Information
Attending a K-8 school like The McGillis School provides the opportunity to make the very best high school choice. The McGillis program is designed to prepare our young adolescents for their next step in their educational journey. Children change dramatically in the lower and middle school years, and a K-8 program provides the opening for our 13-14 year old students to attend a high school that ensures continued academic, athletic, emotional, ethical, and social growth. More information about High School Placement.